Take a look around your home.
Here are some ideas for recycling items that you may already have in your home that can be used as seed starting containers:
1. Egg cartons/ these can be actually cut in half..cut the lid off of the bottom part and you then have a flat tray area to plant seeds into, as well as 12 compartments to plant seeds into.
2. Don't toss those yogurt containers! They can be recycled as well.
3. Pint ice cream containers work well also.Enjoy your Haagen Daaz just a little bit more now..knowing that you can use the container to also start a new tiny plant in.
4. Baby food jars
5.Don't toss out that slightly chipped coffee mug or tea cup..if it can still hold water..it can still hold soil , and will make a good seed starting container.
6. Milk jugs. Cut off the top portion , and you now have a great container in which to start a tomato plant.
7. Children have a neighborhood birthday party? Ask the hostess mom to save the paper cups for you. She may look at you a wee bit oddly, but in a week or so you can take her a gift of a small seedling started in one of those recycled cups.
8.Did you stop at the deli and get a sandwich to go? Use the container as a mini "greenhouse/seed starter"..many deli containers have a small plastic lid on them..these act as a nice "terrarium" type atmosphere..great for starting seeds.
~The Victory Gardener~
(image shown courtesy of DK images free clip art)